LIVERPOOL are pressing ahead with their summer transfer plans with the end of the window now less than a month away – Express Sport brings you all the latest from Anfield.
Thursday August 9
Liverpool snub second Coutinho bid
08:40: Liverpool have rejected a second bid worth £90million for midfielder Philippe Coutinho from Barcelona.
Barcelona are keen to sign the Brazilian playmaker, who joined Liverpool from Inter Milan for £8.5m in 2013, and have already had an initial bid worth £72m rejected.
The 24-time Spanish league champions increased the offer to £76m plus £13.5m in add-ons but Liverpool have rejected the second bid, maintaining their stance that the player is not for sale.
Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp has repeatedly said that the 25-year-old, who was a key player for the Anfield outfit last campaign, would not be sold and the club’s position is boosted by Coutinho’s signing of a new five-year contract last season.
West Ham poised for Carvalho swoop
07:45: West Ham are ready to bid for Sporting Lisbon defensive midfielder William Carvalho, reports claim.
Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool have all previously been linked with the 25-year-old Portugal international.
But it’s Slaven Bilic’s West Ham who are prepared to make the first move.
The Daily Mail claim Bilic is still looking to add to his squad and will make a £25m bid for Carvalho in the coming days.
Neil Mellor says Virgil van Dijk would thrive at Liverpool
06:00: Virgil van Dijk would succeed at Liverpool, according to former Reds forward Neil Mellor.
“He’s a top centre-half, top centre-half,” Mellor said on Sky Sports News of Van Dijk.
“Obviously finished the season injured at Southampton. He has made his intentions clear, he doesn’t want to be there any longer.
“The thing for Southampton is, they’ve always sold their best players.
“They’ve sold a number to Liverpool, obviously sold one to Manchester United as well.
“He’s seen that and for his ambitions he wants to be playing back in Europe, back in the Champions League.
“I think you’re looking at it and thinking you would be surprised if he didn’t leave Southampton.
“Liverpool are looking the most likely and from a Liverpool point of view I think it would be a great signing for Liverpool.
“That’s looking more likely but in football you never know until it happens.”
Chiefs open to letting Philippe Coutinho join Barcelona
05:00: Apologies. It is looking very much like a Philippe Coutinho kind of day.
Spanish newspaper Marca are sensationally reporting that Liverpool chiefs are actually HAPPY to let him go for the right price.
And, instead, the stumbling block is manager Jurgen Klopp.
Klopp is desperate for his star playmaker to remain at Anfield and it is he who will need the most persuading if Barcelona want to tie up a deal.
Diego Costa would be better than Philippe Coutinho
04:40: That’s the view of Manchester United legend Phil Neville.
Speaking on Sky Sports, the retired defender said he thinks Chelsea’s Diego Costa would be more useful to Liverpool than Philippe Coutinho.
“I think if they got £100m, reinvested and say bought Diego Costa or someone like that,” he said.
“That would give them a better chance of winning the league than probably having Coutinho in the side.
Welcome to Express Sport’s Liverpool transfer blog
04:00: Good morning and welcome to Express Sport’s LIVE Liverpool transfer blog.
Jurgen Klopp could be set to oversee ins and outs at Anfield with less than a month of the summer window remaining.
Philippe Coutinho continues to be tracked by Barcelona.
However, Phil Neville thinks a certain Chelsea striker could solve their centre-forward woes.